Deadlands: The Way of the Brave
- To cast a spell normally, make a Spellcasting roll. If you roll a 1 on your Spellcasting die, you suffer backlash and are Shaken.
- Power Points Recharge = 1 Power Point / 3 hours
- Instead of casting a spell normally, you can choose to “deal with the devil.”
DEAL WITH THE DEVIL
- Pick spell to cast and determine how many Power Points are needed.
- Draw 5 cards + 1 per Grit and make the best 5 card poker hand possible. (Jokers are wild but dangerous – see results in next step.)
- Compare your poker hand to the table below. If your hand matches or beats the number of Power Points needed, your Power Point requirements are paid by the manitou. A Spellcasting roll is still required for success. With a Flush or better, success is automatic, but a Spellcasting roll may still be needed to hit or in the case of an opposed roll (the Flush grants a +4 bonus). If your hand fails to provide enough power or you used a Joker, the manitou wins the battle of wills. After any hex effects are decided, you suffer backlash.
|POKER HANDS AND POWER POINTS|
|Ace High||One Ace||1 Power Point|
|Pair||Two cards of the same value||2 Power Points (excess Power Points are lost)|
|Jacks or Better||A pair of Jacks or better||3 Power Points (excess Power Points are lost)|
|Two Pairs||Two sets of two cards||4 Power Points (excess Power Points are lost)|
|Three of a Kind||Three cards of the same value||5 Power Points (excess Power Points are lost)|
|Straight||Five sequential cards||6 Power Points (excess Power Points are lost)|
|Flush||Five cards of the same suit||Spell goes off with a raise (if possible, otherwise no extra effect)|
|Full House||Three cards of one value, two of another||As flush, and hex Duration is doubled (except Instant hexes).|
|Four of a Kind||Four cards of the same value||As flush, and hex Duration is multiplied by 10 (except instant hexes).|
|Five of a Kind||Five cards of the same value (requires use of a Joker)||As flush, but the huckster can turn the power on or off at will for 24 hours at no cost.|
|Straight Flush||Five sequential cards of the same suit||As above, and the huckster draws a Fate Chip from the Fate Pot.|